Thursday, September 8, 2011

Toll House Cookies in the UK

Chocolate chip cookies are something I've been making since I was very small and baked with my big sis.   They're easy to make and the Toll House recipe is delicious.  While baking in the UK has a few added complications, I dragged out my Kitchen Aid and dove into a batch yesterday just to see how they'd turn out.  


Definitely success.


So...for anyone else who's longing for a bit of Americana while abroad, here's the recipe I used:

281g all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1 tsp salt

225g butter
150g brown sugar 
(we had dark brown in the house so that's what I used - turned out beautifully)
150g granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cold water 
(you don't really need this anymore; it's habit from the old recipe and I always add it in)
2 large eggs

200g chocolate chips 
(If you didn't know, it's nearly impossible to find proper Nestle semi-sweet cc's here in the UK.  You can order then online for an obscene amount of money, but I just used Silver Spoon Cakecraft Dark Chocolate Chips that I got at Tesco; you could easily chop up some baking chocolate as well.  Again, worked beautifully.)


preheat oven to 190°C

sift baking soda and salt into flour

in the mixing bowl cream butter and sugars
add vanilla, water (optional), and eggs
gradually add in dry ingredients

stir chocolate chips into the mix

spoon dollops of the dough onto a cookie sheet (I'd recommend baking paper or a silicone baking sheet just for ease of clean-up)

bake 8-11 minutes or until golden brown
let cool on a rack, then place in an air-tight container

makes about 3 dozen


Yum.

1 comment:

  1. Now you are giving away our baking secrets! They look yummy. I still haven't mastered the crazy oven here. Always burning the bottoms. Need more silpats.

    ReplyDelete